Discover the cycle route “La Vélo Francette” with more than 600 kilometres from Normandy to the Atlantic coast. This route, awarded best cycle route in Europe in 2017, links Caen/Ouistreham to La Rochelle.
In the Angers’ urban community, La Vélo Francette takes the Mayenne river’s towpath between Longuenée-en-Anjou and Angers and continues in parallel with the “La Loire à Vélo” route between Angers and Loire-Authion.
The bicycle tourists will pass the low valleys of Angers, one of the most beautiful and exceptional damp meadows in Europe, before going along the smallest river in Anjou : the Maine (7 kilometres), in the heart of Angers. Then, they will go along the royal river from Bouchemaine towards Sainte-Gemmes-sur-Loire, Les Ponts-de-Cé and Loire-Authion.
Here are good deals in the Angers’ urban community between Longuenée-en-Anjou and Loire-Authion:
- Take a break to eat in one of the numerous open-air cafes along
the route: “La Guinguette de Pruillé”, “La Rainette de Montreuil-Juigné” and “La Cabane du Chat qui pèche” in Cantenay-Epinard
- Help the ferryman to pull the ferry crossing the Mayenne river to access to the island of Saint Aubin forbidden to cars.
- In Angers, take some time to stroll in the ancient streets of La Doutre, visit the château d’Angers and its treasure: the Apocalypse, not forgetting to enjoy the view on the Maine river from the Promenade du Bout du Monde.
- Take a selfie or post on Instagram the wonderful view from the Piverdière rocky promontory in Bouchemaine or from the Mediterranean garden in Sainte-Gemmes-sur-Loire.
- Visit the favourite residence of King René in Ponts-de-Cé, now home to the Musée des Coiffes et des Traditions, or in port des Noues,
the ”Rive d'Arts” creative pillar.
- Immerse yourself in the heart of the Loire thanks to the
“Loire-Odyssée” interpretation centre in the new Loire-Authion town.
Download the map of great cycling routes and loops in and around Angers.
- GPX / KML files allow you to export the trail of your hike to your GPS (or other navigation tool)